This isn’t a sad post. The post entails a move that may or may not change the way I see things. Want to know more?
Even before 2016 came, I have been owning it since the last week of December 2015. I’ve been telling myself that it is going to be my year in various ways that I could think of. So far, the year has been good to me. But the main event is that:
Mariaisquixotic is now on WordPress!
The move is not that simple especially in my case since I’m not gifted with coding/HTML skills. So as early as the second paragraph, I will be thanking already the people who have helped me with the move. From Rae, Yen, Danah, Rej and to my artist consultants, Christian and Adam.
But before anything else, I kinda feel great about the move. I’ve used Multiply and Tumblr (since high school days), Blogger (for around 3 years) and now, WordPress.
There were thoughts before that came across my mind about moving. I always search about blogging whether on Google or Pinterest and there are posts that would really compare WP (.com & .org) and Blogger. Both are really nice platforms but there are really things that the other cannot do.
Here are my stereotypical thoughts about moving:
- As a non-IT person, it will be quite hard for me. My knowledge is only limited with the basics and with Blogger, the basics can already be used there.
- I even though that hosting would cost so much that I would starve to death if I did it. (Yeah, kinda an exaggeration but it’s true.) Seeing the amounts in PHP, USD, SGD would really make me click another site quickly.
- I was scared that I would lose everything and start from scratch AGAIN.
But, various gigs/opportunities came in and seeing the other bloggers (who were at various events) use WP really made me think, what if I do it? What’s next for Mariaisquixotic? From then, I started searching for affordable hosting plans that I could avail and luckily, thank you to Pangalan.com!
Super thank you to my college friend, Julie Bulaklak, who made this possible.
Then after all the process of moving has been accomplished (of course, with the help of my talented IT friends), MQ is in WP already and here are my reasons/answers why I moved:
- The interface is quite different from Blogger. It surpasses the limit since Blogger is under Google and they could just delete your blog without even warning you. Yet here, it’s your own site, your own space.
- There are more templates to choose from and you can tweak them more according to your own flavor without getting scared that you might lose your blog. Blogger offers templates as well but not as much as WP.
- Plug-ins, widgets – they make life easier! You just look for what you need, check it if it’s really compatible with your WP then install. Gadgets in Blogger are quite limited and you can’t customize it sometimes so you’re stuck with something that can’t really make you that happy. (I srsly just realize things now while I’m writing this.)
- Improvement, I want to improve my blog and as well my writing skills (or English skills) since I think I may be losing it to the dark side. 😂 But seriously though, I want to improve my blogging skills and to become better with what I do and I guess WP can help me with that.
- EMOJI (very self-explanatory) 👊🏼
So now that I moved, I’m setting some goals for both the blog and for myself:
- Continuity for the blog series that I have and to explore more about creating blog series.
- To push the numerous ideas (for the blog) that came across my mind or the ones I see from the sites/blogs that I browse.
- Still continue goal-setting for the many things I have on my plate.
- Lastly, to connect with more people through different modes of communication (may it be readers/followers).
And of course, I changed my banner and included some leaves as it symbolizes my love of calligraphy and watercolor. It represents my artsy side that I want to share with you. Also, my font changed hinting a more adventurous but a bit reserved Maria.
Currently, I’m still exploring what WP can do to my blog and how I could improve as a blogger (seriously, I don’t see myself as a blogger. I feel weird when people call me blogger and Idk why 😂) and as a better student. Also, I’m trying to organize my posts, you may feel that some are missing or cannot be found that’s because I may have deleted some. I call it good riddance; like cleaning my room and getting rid of the stuff that I don’t want/need anymore.
P.S. If anyone stumbles upon this and gets to read this and you know how to import comments from Disqus to WP, please do tell me. Thank you! 😃
Cheers to a better Maria and a better Mariaisquixotic. Here’s to more adventures this 2016! 🍻
So how you doing guys and girls? ☺️