As my I journey through blogging, I’ve come across different posts about their blogging essentials. Now, here I am sharing what are my blogging essentials.
My Blogging Essentials
Seeing blogs from the internet with belonging to various niches surely have inspired me to write about my blogging essentials. This may vary from what the others think but surely, there will be similar items from the list.
The list starts with:
Choosing your blogging platform
Currently, there are numerous platforms in the web that you can choose from. I’ve tried using Multiply (which became a shopping website) and Tumblr simultaneously before moving to Blogger and eventually in WordPress.
Thank you for Pangalan.com for helping have a self-hosted blog on WordPress.org. You may check their sites in case you need a domain or hosting for blog. 😊
In choosing the platform you are going to use remember to:
- Consider the platform since you will be dealing with this the entirety of your blogging journey (unless you move). Make sure that you are in sync with the platform you chose and you are comfortable with it.
- Remember that every platform will have codes (HTML/CSS) that you will deal with during your journey, consider your knowledge with codes when you choose since others are very friendly with it yet others may have some difficulty along the way. It’s also good to have IT friends to help you with the technical aspect of the blog (I’m glad to have met my IT friends that have been helping me).
- Choose the one that is the most accessible to you. Most of the blogging platforms have their own apps or third-party applications wherein you could download to your devices, these help us to blog more easily and more conveniently without the hassle of opening the laptop and logging in your details.
Getting your own domain
There are just so many to choose from but I chose to have mine with Pangalan.com. It was through a friend (Superaena) that I came to know about their promo (way back 2014) and immediately thought of getting mine. I registered mine for Php 199 and it’s already for a year!
What I like about them most is their customer service, with just an email or an inquiry, they would respond to you immediately regarding your concern. To be honest, I’ve never experienced anything bad (e.g. system down or anything synonymous to that). They also have their summer promo which is only until April 30, 2016 and the prices are very affordable!
Yet in choosing your own domain name, I’d tell you to:
- Avoid lengthy ones – even longer than mine. Haha!
- Choose the one that you can stick with for the rest of your blogging life. – Changing domain names can greatly affect your visitors.
- Beware of those domain name who have been used already.
Choosing your niche
This may be the toughest for me since I practically kinda blog whatever that goes on with life. I have posts from the arts and crafts genre to somehow travel posts to makeup posts and with whatever blah I have. Yet, I realized that having a niche isn’t bad after all and having those other posts (that may be outside your niche) is not really bad at all. Although, majority of your posts should be under the niche you picked.
To effectively pick a niche, I may have asked myself these and these might help you as well:
- Why did I blog in the first place?
- What do I want to write about?
- How do I find my passion?
- What are my hobbies in life or things I do when I have nothing to do at all?
- What has blogging done in my life?
Set of blogging tools and/or gadgets
Before I started this serious side of blogging, I was on Tumblr reblogging and posting some of my poems and scribbles. Then, I had my very own camera (which is featured as a Favorite Friday item here) which really helped me in capturing quality photos that I could use for my posts.
Yet with my blogging journey here’s a list of my blogging tools and/or gadgets:
- Laptop – This is my go-to tool in posting and editing my blog, photos and the codes that come along.
- Camera – I used to bring my dslr with me, all the time, up until I had to go to places which are quite far from where I live so I just use it whenever the place is quite near.
- Phone (smartphone) – It has been my go-to camera during events or places I go to. It has a high-resolution
These are helpful in promoting your accounts and gaining followers/readers. Hashtags are quite helpful since when you use them for searching, your post may just be directly looped in. Although, sometimes, if you already make a sentence with your hashtag, it may seem not as a tag anymore; just include it in the caption.
Lastly, for me, this is the most essential ingredient for blogging. And it is:
Dedication and Motivation
There will be those moments wherein you will feel sluggish and unproductive and that’s normal (really). Yet, through those moments one must realize that being sluggish and unproductive will never bring success. Blogging is also a hard work. Readers return because you connect with them through what you write or blog about. Even if there are personal stuff at times, some (that you may not know) have undergone the same feeling or situation you have been. Updating your blog a few times a week is not an easy thing to do. The creativity it asks of you in writing unique and heartfelt posts is quite a challenge. Whether you are blogging for fun or for career, it’s essential to be dedicated and motivated in doing it.
Well, I guess that’s it for my blogging essentials. Thank you for reading this lengthy post. I hope this will be helpful. 😁