Art

The Scarlet Stockings

March 7, 2017

The Scarlet Stockings

Watching theatrical shows has been close to my heart ever since I was a kid. Getting invited to watch The Scarlet Stockings is such an honor. Why? It’s going to be in Benilde, particularly at SDA Theater which is my alma mater.

The Scarlet Stockings

Going to Benilde for college has been a roller coaster ride. One of my fave things back when I was still in college, was the idea of watching productions and shows within the walls of the school. The way I see it, it’s a privilege that most of us never really made use of.

Now, post-college, being able to watch productions or show within CSB is truly an opportunity to see my alma mater once again and to applaud to the talents of the students as well as the performers.

Honestly, I’ve only heard about The Scarlet Stockings through Sam’s brother. Tyrone is one of the people behind the lighting of productions held inside the school. When he asked me if I had plans for Saturday, I told him I don’t and that I only have an exam. Then he asked if I would like to watch the show he’s part of. How can I refuse to that?

A show in your alma mater plus supporting your boyfriend’s brother, that’s the dream! Hahaha!

About The Show

The Scarlet Stockings

Official Poster

This will be Benilde’s fully balletic dance thesis production in nearly a decade. It intends to take audiences on a journey, and show them physical and emotional struggles of what is arguably the country’s most difficult and underappreciated career.

What is the price of attaining a goal? Where does one draw the line between ambition and obsession?

The Scarlet Stockings features set, lighting, and sound design by some of Benilde’s best young talents; as well as the scholars Ballet Philippines Dance School (both past and present). It encompasses the original choreography by Cheska Reyes (formerly a scholar of Ballet Philippines).

The Premise

Related:  Parkfest PH AVP

When an audience sees ballet dancers, they see a gossamer parade of young bodies on show. Nymph-like and lithe, ballet dancers have personified the epitome of ethereality for centuries. However, no one ever has the nerve to peer behind the velvet curtain to see the true grit of a ballerina’s life.

From a young age, the female ballet dancer trains relentlessly, in the hopes of one day rising to fame, of becoming a star. Unfortunately, for most young dancers, the possibility of that dream becoming a reality is slim. It is more likely that she will spend most of her career in the corps de ballet; the ensemble group dancing in unison around the featured soloists.

The dynamic of the dancers who make up the corps de ballet is unique only to them. Despite sharing a bond closer than blood; they are painfully aware of how short their careers are. Every girl in the corps de ballet prays to be noticed, to be promoted, and to achieve her dream.

The Story

Adrienne, is one of the many swirling bodies in the backline of the corps. She is a young dancer with the Grinkov Ballet, talented, but often ignored by the company’s merciless director. She finds a pair of scarlet stockings, after which she is suddenly catapulted to fame and stardom. She finds a pair of scarlet stockings, after which she is suddenly catapulted to fame and stardom.

Unaware and dismissive of the heavy price attached to the stockings; Adrienne’s manic obsession with keeping the power she believes they possess to herself escalates, and she begins to lose touch with reality.

For Tickets or Inquiries

For ticket information, visit fb.com/TheScarletStockings or contact 09064680226

Related:  Art Fair Philippines 2016

Hope to see you there!

• Reply cieri of thewonderfulkind.com March 7, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I think I saw a post about this from one of my Facebook friends. I got more curious about the story. It seems to be a well-prepared and thought of production. My husband is also from CSB, I’ll ask if he wants to visit his alma mater to watch this.

• Reply John Pena March 8, 2017 at 12:21 am

I may not watch Scarlet Stockings but it won’t take the fact that I truly admire ballerinas! I mean, just walking on tip toe is a pretty awesome feat for me 😀 Such flexibility, grace, and passion makes makes ballerinas dancers to be admired for. It’s great to know there’s still a number of people supporting this art.

• Reply Nora March 8, 2017 at 2:49 am

Sounds amazing! I love dancing and watching all kinds of dances. Ballet isn’t my number one favorite but the talent and practice it requires makes it very interesting and special. I have tried couple classes of ballet and gosh it was challenging!

• Reply Stella the Travelerette March 8, 2017 at 9:42 am

Working on shows is such an exciting experience! I did a lot of theater when I was in high school and I loved it. I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time. That poster is certainly very dramatic looking!

• Reply theresa March 8, 2017 at 6:00 pm

When I was still studying in Manila, I used to always watch theatre performances. Now that I was based back again the province, I seldom go to Manila so it’s almost been a decade since I last watched one. Sadly, we don’t have those things here. Or maybe I just don’t know.

• Reply Joanna March 8, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Scarlet’s Stockings sounds like a great and interesting production to watch. I don’t think I have ever been to a ballet theater before. I have been to the opera where sometimes they do have ballet dancers in their performances, there is a lot of work behind every show.

• Reply Herbert Kikoy March 9, 2017 at 9:31 am

Seems a very interesting play. I am not fond of plays but if its really interesting, I guess it’s worth the while watching. Is this only in Manila? I hope they would consider playing here in Cebu. A lot of Cebuanos will surely be watching this one.

• Reply Laveena Sengar March 9, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Oh this is cool. I am actually a big fan of this dance form and really wanted to learn this at a point of time in my life. Unfortunately, I haven’t been to but look forward to. This play sounds amazing.

• Reply KT Nielsen March 9, 2017 at 2:35 pm

I’m not big on theatre performances but I wouldn’t mind watching when I get a chance either. This is a great exposure for students. I used to dance ballet (so many years back) and I admire people who have continued dancing even to this day because it is not an easy practice. I would love to watch the video you included but sadly it seems that it has been taken down. Would you know why?

• Reply Maria March 10, 2017 at 12:41 am

Woah. You did ballet? I think I did too, way back. The video? That’s weird, I could still see them.

• Reply Claire Santiago March 11, 2017 at 10:51 pm

I love watching ballet performances and I have been missing it for so long. During college days, I would always go to UP, PICC or CPP to watch it. I was able to watch Lisa Macuja Elizalde in Swan Lake and I was really teary eyed…

• Reply sabine March 12, 2017 at 2:19 am

I like ballet a lot. Used to do it when I was a child. I love the outfits of ballet dansers. It’s so feminine and they always look so skinny and worked out. That poster is pretty impressive. The play must be something very unique.