FAM

Featured Artist of the Month IV

November 4, 2016

Featured Artist of the Month: Jullien Olay

November’s featured artist is someone who I met through volunteering for Type Kita, collaborated on some events and a fellow arts and crafts enthusiast. She’s none other than Jullien Olay!

Featured Artist of the Month: November

Featured Artist of the Month: Jullien Olay

Meet Yen Olay

She is Jullien “Yen” Olay, and hails from Cavite. I met her through Type Kita when we volunteered for the event called Pass on the Passion. Currently, she works freelance and currently doing calligraphy specializing on baybayin. She’s also part of DnY Arts & Crafts where I bought my awesome baybayin phone cover.

Getting to know Jullien

FAM: Jullien Olay

Yen’s pointed pen calligraphy

What made you start with this craft?

• Love for Baybayin
  • Calligraphy
  • Filipino Creativity and Craftsmanship

How long have you been doing this craft?

Almost 1 year

Why did you pursue it?

I believe that idea will be just plain idea without doing something about it. Stepping out / sharing what you love is another story. We’re not just making profit out of passion. We’re making story out of passion. And it’s a calling.

FAM: Jullien Olay

“Pilipinas kong mahal.” || Baybayin artwork

Pages: 1 2

• Reply Rae November 4, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Wiiii pinsan ko yan.

• Reply Yen November 12, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Thank you pinsan! πŸ™‚

• Reply KT Nielsen November 16, 2016 at 2:25 am

Thank you for sharing Yen’s artist profile. I will definitely check-out her social media accounts so I can follow her creations. I also dabble in calligraphy but it’s been a little while since I practiced. I tried my hand in brush lettering but the medium just won’t love me back. Hehehe! Anyway, I love Yen’s advice: “Just start. Don’t just plan. Always make a move.” I think I have to follow that and keep going…

• Reply Sam Coronado (@followyouroad) November 16, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Wow!! Her work is just beautiful. I love the fact that she also writes in Baybayin. Since I’m from UP that’s what’s used in many of our “rituals” aka graduation. Her work by itself already spreads awareness about our local alphabet.

• Reply Ma. Clarice Lao November 16, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I have always admired people who are creative, talented and kind-hearted. Kudos to you and Yen.

I am working with a client doing commissioned calligraphy work and I realize that the opportunities are endless. It would be an ultimate dream to not only make profit out of your own passion but being able to really enjoy it and share the love as well.

• Reply Jenny November 16, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I’m so impressed by artists. You guys are so creative and talented. Sometimes I wish I could do calligraphy and other art work.. But you can’t be “best” at everything, and I’ve chosen other passions to pursue.. But I can at least enjoy your work! πŸ™‚

• Reply Carola November 16, 2016 at 10:08 pm

You know many nice artists! I always enjoy reading about them. Jullien is very talented. I love her work. She’s been only doing it for a year? I’m very impressed. I love how she describes the craft! Passion is a great thing!

• Reply Eleanor Llabore November 16, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Great talent. I don’t have that kind of creativity so I am always amazed with talented people like you and Jullien. Keep enhancing your gifts and make the world a more awesome one with your special skills. More power to both of you Ms. Maria

• Reply klaudia November 17, 2016 at 4:08 am

This is truly art ! How beautiful and creative, I don’t think I would be patient and calm enough. How nice of you to put others in the spotlight, great attitude ! How easy to just choose fonts on the computer , but what you all are doing there is a work of art ! Respect , the photos show that you guys really love what you are doing.

• Reply Milton Coyne November 17, 2016 at 5:07 pm

the first time I learned Baybayin, i fell in love with it already… some people are telling me that Baybayin no longer has practical use but for me, it is a form of art already and I love how she input her calligraphy skills in her baybayin art! they look so amazing!

• Reply Martine November 18, 2016 at 12:22 am

I love calligraphy discoveries! Seeing nice work makes me forget that I had such frustrations learning this medium, haha! I love that you feature artists on your blog β€” great work! I look forward to seeing more of your other featured artists, especially since I am often on the lookout for people who can render hand-drawn logos and such for my clients.

• Reply Maria November 18, 2016 at 3:47 am

Hola Ms. Martine! I could give you a list or people I know who have talent for lettering, calligraphy and typography. πŸ™‚

• Reply Martine November 28, 2016 at 3:06 am

Excellent! Do email me your recommendations.

• Reply Dominic Barrios November 19, 2016 at 4:55 pm

First time to see Baybayin letters/symbols ever I think. Where did it originate from and how do you read them? I do agree though with her frustrations in execution part. Managing our time is also a skill that needs to be learned by a lot of people, me including. Eventually, you will get a hang of it and have the discipline.

• Reply Orana Velarde November 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm

She does beautiful work! I like this featured artist series, it’s a good idea. I really like her stickers! I wish you would ask a bit more elaborate questions to get more elaborate answers, know what I mean? Keep it up!

• Reply ASKSonnie November 28, 2016 at 10:37 am

I admire people who have taken risks to pursue their passion, and promoting their art as form of advocacy. I’m not a very artsy person, so being exposed to people and their art is a learning for me.