Events

Teaser: The Pen Meet

September 21, 2016

This is a video created in partnership with Rae Alegado Creative Design. This is the teaser for the event, The Pen Meet. However, I was only able to post it just now because of the load from school and from organizing it. Tiring but so much fun!

The Pen Meet

The Pen Meet

We believe that art is for everyone and passion is something that you could pass on to other people. It’s not just about creating things from your mind to reality but also being able to connect and grow with other people. Kristine and Sabrina started calligraphy out of curiosity, but as we go along the way, we have discovered that calligraphy is not just our hobby but also turned out to be our passion. Our love for letters grew even more when we had the chance to volunteer for Type Kita last December 2015. We met people who eventually became our friends because of the mere fact that we share the same passion; the passion for making letters dance.

As we continue to develop our knowledge and skills, we have decided to continue what Type Kita has taught us, to Pass on the Passion. We all understand the struggle of learning something new, you start with not knowing anything about it until you slowly find your own style. We all understand how difficult it is to test and dive into unfamiliar waters. That is why we are coming up with Maarteng Letra: The Pen Meet, to inspire and to teach enthusiasts and dreamers that anything can be possible.

On the 10th of September 2016, artists and dreamers will gather to create an event that will inspire enthusiasts to start NOW.

The Pen Meet

Event Banner

Being close to my heart

To be honest, this event is close to my heart. As a volunteer of Type Kita last December, I was introduced to different artists who shared their passion to enthusiasts and aspirants. This further inspired me to be better at the craft and to share what I know and experience to others. I know that I could make a difference and could help fellow aspirants in their journey as well.

This helped me to be more patient especially if I don’t get at first attempt. Another reason why it’s very close to my heart: it’s the very first event that I’m part of the organizers. So it’s a big step for me as well.

Since the event happened last Sept. 10, 2016, this is already late but this is to share the teaser video while waiting for the other photos and video highlights from our media partner, Rae Alegado Creative Design.

The Pen Meet

From a leftie to a fellow leftie. I somehow look teacher-ish here. Thank you Adam for the capture!

More to come when the video highlights is up! Also, my full blog post will be coming soon as well. 😊

Connect. Share. Dream.

What do you think about it? 😁

• Reply Berlin September 22, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Ay sayang. Please, pretty please! Inform me please should there be another set of talks or workshops or classes. My son and I are only beginners but we are enthusiastic to learn. We prefer to meet other “experts” and enthusiasts so we get to learn and get techniques from them. Thanks.

• Reply Maria September 23, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Sure! No problem, you could subscribe so if there’s another event, I could just send an email blast. πŸ™‚

• Reply Maerose JS September 22, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Yay! I wish I could join you! I share the same passion for writing and doing creative stuff, for fun! I have dozens of pens, but I never get to use all of them, nor to learn calligraphy and such. It’s a very relaxing and de-stressing hobby, and very helpful in designing signs or making letters, art decorations, etc. I wish I have more time to pursue the hobby! I have so many hobbies that I cannot really just focus on one, although I’m aware that I’m neglecting my (visual) artistic side a lot these days.. Best of luck on the event! I’m sure many will join and you’d meet more like-minded friends!

• Reply ROBERT LEE September 22, 2016 at 10:59 pm

It would be nice minsan to see you get down to doing calligraphy while chatting in a cafe. Let’s meet and show me what you got! LOL! Serious. You do your art, I will write something and post on the blog. It looks like din you had a lot of fun. Always great to be with people sharing the same passion for common activities!

• Reply Mommy Queenelizabeth September 23, 2016 at 6:30 am

There are a lot of calligraphy workshops nowadays. But this event seems to be more fun and exciting. Im a pen hoarder during my college days then when i got kids, oh boy! The pens were murdered! I wish to attend workshops like this kase i love writing quotes on notepads and its a great way to practice calligraphy while putting art and life on what i write. When will be the next kaya?

• Reply Maria September 23, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Coming soon po! πŸ˜€

• Reply MIchi September 23, 2016 at 9:51 am

Calligraphy is one of our elective subjects when I was in high school. I really did not take it seriously and now it is popular. I hope I can learn this hobby too because I don’t think tanda ko pa yung napag-aralan ko. I wish I have the budget to attend workshops like this.

• Reply Jessica September 23, 2016 at 11:47 am

Will you do another session? I would love to come! Maarteng Letra is just a brilliant title, dear. Haha. Have to bring back my calligraphy love soon. Will visit your blog time by time for inspiration. πŸ™‚

• Reply Maria September 23, 2016 at 3:46 pm

For the next? It’s coming soon! πŸ˜€

• Reply theresa September 23, 2016 at 11:59 am

You know what, I tried doing brush calligraphy on the new pen I bought at NBS but until now, I’m having a hard time practicing the thin and thick stroke to it. I don’t think I can do it! I don’t know if the problem was the pen or me. Any suggestions? I already watch several videos on YT and even read a lot of blog regarding it but to no avail. I just really can’t do it!

• Reply Maria September 23, 2016 at 3:47 pm

For that, you might want to start with controlling the pressure or weight in your hands. Just continue doing the basic drills and you’ll get there. Slowly but surely. πŸ™‚

• Reply Shai Habon September 23, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Good job on creating this event! I’m a huge fan of art and calligraphy. I hope I can join any of your upcoming art events/workshops soon (especially brush calligraphy!). Here’s my email add: contact@shairahabon.com.

Thanks again for sharing! πŸ™‚

• Reply Orana Velarde September 25, 2016 at 1:13 am

Oh I can’t wait to see your videos! That must have been so much fun. My stepfather was a calligraphist and his art was pretty intense and wonderful at the same time. I have sometimes wondered about getting into calligraphy as well. All the best, Orana