FAM

Featured Artist of the Month II

September 4, 2016

September

Another month, another featured artist. Here is another featured artist for the month of September! Get to know her more by reading this.

Featured Artist of the Month: September

September

Meet Noni Devora.

Who is she? She is Noni Devora who is a fellow Agnesian, leftie and calligraphy enthusiast. I’ve known her because I’m friends with her sister, Nissa. Recently, she had her first workshop at Common Room PH (Rockwell branch). I got sad since I was not able to go there and see her in action.  But before anything else, let’s get to know her more.

Get to know Noni

September's FAM

Her expression of her love for letters.

What made you start this craft?

We had a lettering class in grade school. I hated it at first; it was too mechanical for artsy me. But looking back, it actually helped me with the basics of letter construction and spacing.

In 2012, I got into Calligraphy! I loved the feel of scripts, and thought that it would be great to mix it with my graphic design work. I bought all the tools that I could find (Scribe loyal customer here!). But at that time, there were scarcely any workshop or training around. Sooo, in the end I found out that most of the nibs I got were not for the type of calligraphy that I wanted (pointed-pen).

How long have you been doing this craft?

Lettering is something I’ve done regularly for work. But I didn’t take it seriously until recently. For calligraphy, it was an on and off love affair. But collectively, I would say about 2 years now.

Why did you pursue it?

It was a specialized and unique skill (back then) that I could use for graphic design. Now, I’ve realized that I love drawing letters more than other things.

Getting to know Noni

Did you have struggles in pursuing the craft? If yes, could share it to us please.

Lettering was very frustrating back then, I always thought something looked off in my letters. Practiced on letterforms, kerning, and layout, thanks to the great Jessica Hische!

For Calligraphy, I’m a leftie! Not saying that it’s bad, but it’s definitely more challenging. The way we hold the pen and position paper, the way we angle our hand, arm, and body is different.

Favorite quote?

Song lyrics? Pwede?

Love what you have, and you’ll have more love.

-Firewood, Regina Spektor

Top 3 favorite tools

Lettering:

• mechanical pencil
  • Dong-A 2B lead

Calligraphy

• Brause ef66 nib
  • Laptop/Adobe Illustrator

If you are to share your tips and tricks to newbies, what would those be?

• Keep trying and don’t give up. I gave up a couple of times but I bounced back and kept falling in love with letters. This applies to life in general, not sure on love though.
  • Clean your tools (esp. for Calligraphy!) I’ve lost great nibs and holders because of nasty handling.
  • Share your work! This is something I practiced quite recently. It took me 2 years before posting any of my calligraphy work. It helped me improve, bigtime!

If you were to describe the craft in three words, what will those be?

• Beautiful
  • Poetic
  • Painful

You can find Noni on:

Reach her through her email.

Love local! Support local!

• Reply ROBERT LEE September 4, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Hello Noni and the sample posted is great work! I can never be as creative as you guys are but one can admire, right? I hope to see more of your work so if you have the time, drop me a message on my blog. Calligraphy may not be for me, but I do know it is the love of calligraphy that led to the hundreds of thousands of fonts now available today because Steve Jobs was smart enough to push it to the old mac in the old days.

• Reply Maaya Legaspi September 4, 2016 at 11:45 pm

I love the sample art works!! I also want to try caligraphy but I think it’s not for me. The only close encounter I have with it is when I was in high school and we were taught different fonts. Speed ball was my best friend back then! Nowadays, calligraphy is starting ro become popular. Especially the watercolor calligraphy which is always so pleasant in the eyes.

• Reply Dorothy Mae C. Torretijo September 5, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Wow! Actually I attended some Calligraphy workshop before and I really enjoy everything. I love your art works! How I wish I can make great things like that. Keep it up.

• Reply Jessica September 5, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I will follow Noni and see her awesome creations. I have been trying to get back in letter drawing and even to hand made crafts. Sadly, I can’t put it into more serious action. I hope to use one of her products and can help me get back on this art.

• Reply Angelie Pangilinan September 6, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I can only admire talents like her! I wish to be good in calligraphy or in any form of art at least but nah, I don’t really have artistic blood in my veins.

• Reply Cai Dominguez September 6, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Grabe super artistic. That pouch is so beautiful. I will follow you on IG and see more of your works.’it would be a pleasure to get one item from you. You rock!!

• Reply Nya September 7, 2016 at 5:15 am

What a beautiful skill, I love typography and lettering; her work is so beautiful, and it’s inspiring that she wanted to create affordable products so other people could afford them as well.

• Reply master ryo September 8, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Noni is so grounded and humble my initial impression of her.
    I also think she has the a lot of potentials.
    How I wish to learn Calligraphy myself in the future!

cheers! http://www.masterryo.com

• Reply Melissa Ungco September 9, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Wow! I actually always wanted to learn calligraphy. I bought a lot of materials, tools and even books but sadly I never had the time and patience to really pursue it. Still makes me jealous…… how I wish. Anyways, thanks for sharing. Noni seems really nice and her works are pretty beautiful too. 🙂 Cheers!

• Reply Jane Rosewood September 11, 2016 at 7:04 pm

I’ve checked out her instagram – beautiful works!!! I would love to buy something she made. Does she own a site where you can purches her art works ? If not then she really needs to open one 🙂 Thank you for sharing her works with the rest of the world. people like that are so inspiring.

• Reply Maria September 13, 2016 at 2:14 am

Her products can be bought at Common Room PH or you may contact her directly for orders. 🙂

• Reply R U S S September 12, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Like drawing & sketching, lettering & calligraphy are my biggest frustrations. We had these technical classes in high school and in college, but I didn’t learn. I’m guessing that I’m not cut for it plus it requires a certain skill set to be able to do those beautiful hand-written work. Props for Noni for continuing her love for this craft. She has a gift and it’s great to see when people blessed with such gifts share it with others.

• Reply Gene September 12, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Coz of this I want to go back to my first love, arts!

• Reply Sam Coronado (@followyouroad) September 12, 2016 at 10:40 pm

I think I’m gonna be looking forward to this series! Super love that you’re featuring artists I’ve never heard of. I personally like her minimalist whimsical designs. Will be staying tuned for more 🙂

• Reply Gene September 13, 2016 at 7:52 am

And to add, is it possible to have like a personalized design? Her products would be perfect for an artys fartsy friends and I know we all have one 😛 I also love the idea that she made a prototype for drawstring pouches that’s my frustration when I was still in school.

• Reply Maria September 13, 2016 at 1:04 pm

With the personalized design, you might need to get in touch with her for that. 🙂

• Reply Berlin September 13, 2016 at 10:14 am

Your friend is so talented. Love her works. As in galing! Sabi nila birds with the same feathers flock together. Kaya pala galing mo rin sa calligraphy.

• Reply Maria September 13, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Super. I admire her as well. Thank you for the kind words, Momi Berlin!

• Reply Rej September 13, 2016 at 10:51 am

I have seen Ate Noni’s artworks because she is a friend of my sister. I used to join them for lunch back when I was in grade school and I could see them exchanging sketch books and sharing their artworks. I’m glad she’s still pursuing art though in a different medium. I love the pouches she made with the feathers. I must visit Common Room soon!

• Reply Allison September 13, 2016 at 10:55 am

I always admire artists as I don’t have an artistic bone in my body lol. Yes handmade can be expensive but is worth it to have something unique . Great that Noni could offer a more wallet friendly version as wellZ great feature!

• Reply Laveena Sengar September 13, 2016 at 12:37 pm

I never knew anything about calligraphy at all but then my sister took me to a workshop and it was an incredible experience. I look forward to it many times now. These designs look amazing. Keep it up

• Reply Dominic Barrios September 13, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I loved that drawstring pouch made by Noni. I’m assuming that that feather was made using a calligraphy pen? How much is she selling those and what were her other products? Looking forward to reading more kinds of posts like these but do include more info’s about them.

• Reply Style With Tina September 15, 2016 at 9:44 am

Wow. She’s completely talented! I would never be able to do what she does… I don’t have the coordination. She deserves this award. 🙂

• Reply Veronica September 17, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Noni is so talented! And of course, handmade items are always more expensive than the ones produced in the factories. The designer/craftsman puts so much energy, effort and soul in production of the items, so of course they have to be more expensive.

• Reply Nestor Paul September 23, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Wow! Amazing artsmanship. I would want to have those products on my house, but it is so expensive. For now i will just visit your blog more often if i need to be entertain with arts!